System Design Engineer
St. Louis, MO
Systems Design – Electrical & Mechanical (50%)
With safety and NFPA-86 standards as a leading principal of all designs, the systems design engineer primarily designs control panels and valve trains with the occasional need for mechanical design of air heaters / ovens or other miscellaneous products. All systems designs are drafted using AutoCAD. And all designs are based on customers’ requirements &/or as directed by ETO Project Manager. The Systems Design Engineer is expected to propose any alternate design changes which may result in a better final product or lower cost with comparable quality. Collaboration with the project manager on any proposed changes is required. Independent research of internal documents, past project plans / drawings or external resources may be required. Upon customer approval of systems design, the Design Engineer will generate a detailed BOM and transfer BOM to purchasing for requisition in a timely manner.
PLC Programming (20%)
With safety as a leading principal of all programming, the Systems Design Engineer will program sequence of events / processes utilizing PLC & HMI code. All programming logic is based on customers’ requirements &/or as directed by ETO Project Manager. SDE is expected to propose any alternate design changes which may result in a better final product and collaborate with the project manager on any proposed changes. Independent research of internal documents or external resources may be required.
Testing / QC (10%)
- PLC – Test PLC & HMI code / logic and make changes as need to meet customer acceptance requirements.
- Control panel & valve trains – Test of systems using detailed & systematic testing procedures. ID problems and ensure corrective action is taken as needed to meet customer acceptance requirements & BDC standards.
- Quality Control – ensure all projects leaving our shop meet the high professional standards and expectations of the customer and the quality standards of BDC.
- Light / occasional technical support for customers, service techs and other internal staff.
- Start up and commission of ETO PLC jobs either remote or on site.
- Design and evaluate flow calculations, velocities, and pressures throughout various systems.
- The ability to size flow control valves and regulators.
- Knowledge of control valves and various mechanical flow control devices.
- Assist with implementation and maintenance of UL rated panel shop.
- Ability to interact with vendors, internal and external customers while representing the company in a professional manner
- Billable time work of upwards of 30% (design beyond standard scope, commissioning, PLC, etc)
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Qualifications required to perform the job:
- PLC & HMI Programming
- Electrical engineering degree with 5+ years’ experience
- Basic mechanical knowledge and design aptitude
- Experience in process heat and flow dynamics is a plus
- Strong PC skills included MS Office family of products
- Comfortable in a fast-paced environment
- Critical Thinking Skills
- Organizational Skills
- Problem Solving Skills
- Computer Skills
- Communication Skills
- Analytical Skills
- The working conditions; 1) office environment 2) BDC warehouse / fabrication 3) customer production site.
- The physical requirements – must be able to lift 50 pound package.
- Upwards of 40% travel may be required