Technical Outside Sales Engineer
Lee's Summit, MO
This position is responsible for maintaining and growing sales and gross profit by our expanding industrial market presence. This individual will be selling products and services through increased participation in business opportunities. Emphasis will be on the ability to build and maintain strong relationships among new and existing customers, identify customer pains and engineer solutions with products, equipment, and services.
- Account Management maintain, manage & service customers (40%)
- Sales Prospecting establish new business & new accounts (40%)
- Consultative Sales market & promote new products (20%)
- Develop new business and identify new customers or existing customers who could benefit from company products or services; maximimize customer potential in designated regions.
- Maintain existing business.
- Develop new business opportunities.
- Build and document a pipeline of business at least 3X sales.
- Use proven sales techniques to maximize quality of leads.
- Gain customer acceptance by focusing on customer needs and explaining or demonstrating cost reductions and operational improvements on equipment or machinery.
- Travel territory performing site visits ensuring products, equipment, or services are being fully marketed and/or represented to customer. Have a documented plan for tracking and sharing with sales management.
- Grow sales profitably.
- Manage/maximize gross profit of all business.
- Develop and maintain key account plans.
- Develop long-term relationships with customers by managing and interpreting customer requirements.
- Responsible for all aspects of accounts including resolution of customer issues.
- Adjust and modify plan as customer needs change.
- Advise customer on product, service, or equipment to reduce customer pain.
- Understanding of entire portfolio of products as well as competitive landscape.
- Develop technical knowledge by attending workshops, reviewing professional publications, on-line learning, participating in professional societies, factory training and BDC in-house training.
- Solid understanding of suppliers’ technologies and growth priorities. Expected to attend supplier meetings and training sessions.
- Provide technical assitance and product education to customer and staff.
- Ability to handle responsibilities with effective interpersonal skills and to effectively interface with others inside and outside the company.
- Strong understanding of BDC’s internal process and internal communication.
- Proposal process.
- Price support.
- Engineering and service projects.
- Credit and accounts receivable handling.
- Customer inventory demands.
- Others as needed by management.
- Utilize CRM to track customer engagements and communication.
- Apply intellect, creativity, adaptability, judgement, and management skills to achieve required results.
- Expense management.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- 4 year Engineering degree (Mechanical, Chemical or Electrical Engineering desired)
- Minimum of 2 years relatable technical experience preferred.
- Proficient Computer Skills MS Word, Excel, Power Point & Outlook.
- Demonstrate strong technical aptitude
- Strong ambition and drive and willing to take initiative.
- Excellent cognitive skills
- Light office work; traveling to customer’s industrial and commericial facilities; meet the facility safety requirements.
- Willing to inspect equipment and get dirty when needed.
- 80-90% of workday is spent in the field calling on customers in the assigned territory. Typical 10% – 20% overnight, but as high as 50% at times.
- Local travel generally by vehicle.